Simple Living Space Ideas
When you are decorating a simple apartment, some people may suggest the use of mirrors as they tend to make the room look bigger and adds more light to your room. In this article, I home to that I can shed some ideas when it comes to decorating your apartment.
In today’s world, apartments are becoming more and more popular. Even though space may be small, people often wonder how can they make the most out of their space and how to decorate it and make it be as personalized as possible.
Most apartments if not all come with the basic features. Even though the walls are usually painted in white, standard-issue window treatments and neutral floors, does not mean you have to leave it just like that. This is where your decorating skills will come into place.
There are lots of landlords who will give you the opportunity to decorate the space as you see fit, with the option of you returning it to its original condition. Some of the key features of living in an apartment are that they are more compact and lack the extra space often found in larger homes.
This can mean that you need to be creative in finding ways to utilize as much of the space as possible while also looking for attractive ways to create a more open feel.
While the smaller living quarters of an apartment, it can be challenging and leave one feeling a little claustrophobic. With a few apartment interior design techniques, you can make your space feel much more inviting and appear much larger than it actually is.
Lots of people use the same old boring vertical blinds that are so common. It is important that you make your apartment your own rather than just having a space to live. Window treatments are an easy place where you can make a dramatic difference in the look and feel of your living facility.
If you need more height in a room, you should think about using horizontal decorative molding above your windows to block out the curtain rod. This gives the room a feeling of illusion height. You can also add drapes on the outer part of the window which makes the room feel more open and spacey.
Glass and Mirrors
By using glass tabletops, you make the room feel more open and airy. When you use heavy wood, you make the room seems much smaller than it really is, while the glass tops of the coffee table, dining room table and glass end tables make the room much brighter.
You can also use mirrors. They offer lots more light to make the entire apartment brighter and more welcoming but do not overdo. There are so many ways in which you can make your apartment into a showpiece or you can be simple where you just want to be comfortable all the while making it look its best.
One thing you should be mindful of and that is your storage space and where you intend to store your items. Remember you are living in an apartment and most times there is little storage space. It is difficult to add square footage, but easy to add additional storage space very easy.
When it comes to beds, choose the one that has built-in drawers or use storage bins that can easily fit under your bed. Lots of us tend to forget about this area and it is often wasted. You can use this space to store your off-seasoned clothes, extra blankets, pillows or other items that are not being used very often.
They will still be at arms reach if needed, but they are tucked away out of sight. The idea is to find creative ways to utilize space that is frequently wasted. Corner entertainment centers are another creative way to save space.
Take advantage of that corner and set up your entertainment center and seating arrangement in an area most people would have left unused. This allows you to create a more open traffic flow and bring a more open feel to the room.
Fixing Up Your Apartment
Thinking about getting an apartment or you already have one. Or do you have one that needs a little redoing on the inside or maybe changing the entire interior decoration? Make this one of the most fun jobs that you have ever done, as long as you have the necessary equipment.
Here are some apartment decorating tips for you to keep in mind.
1. One of the most important points when it comes to decorating is having a good plan. Coming up with a realistic budget is extremely important. Now plan what you want to do in each room. Pore over decorating magazines and surf the internet for ideas.
Write or draw the things you would like in your bedroom, living room, dining room and kitchen. Decide on everything, including the color of the walls, wall decorations, furniture, curtains, drapes and lighting.
2. Having a not-so-huge budget does not mean that you can’t have a beautiful home. It only means that you have to be smart and creative. Yard sales and flea markets will save you a whole lot of money if you are not too snobbish about using second-hand stuff! You will get wonderful vintage items in estate sales.
Choose items that will suit the theme you want in your apartment.
3. If you are good with your hands, you can sew the curtains and drapes of your apartment after buying the material. It will not only help you save money, you will also have a lot of fun doing it. You can also make decorative items from used objects.
4. If you are on a tight budget why don’t you do the painting of your new apartment yourself? Everyone in the family can join in. Not only will you have fun, you will also be able to spend quality time with your loved ones.
5. Apartments tend to be small so it’s important to use furniture, lighting and colors in a way that will make it look bigger than it really is. Buy furniture that is slender and not chunky. They will not only save up space but will also look trendier.
Asymmetrical shelves look modern. They also provide a place for keeping books and knick-knacks. Wrap-around sofas are cool to look at. Buy one in a dark color.
6. Use bright and happy colors on the walls of your apartment. They will create a warm ambiance and an illusion of space.
7. Avoid using too much upholstery if your apartment is not too big.
8. The dining area should be given special importance. Choosing a foldable dining table is a great idea if you want to save space. Keep this area simple, warm and friendly where the whole family can sit down and enjoy mealtimes.
9. Got a lot of household stuff you want to hide? Store them under the bed! It makes a great storage place for items you don’t need every day.
10. Use mirrors to create an illusion of space in your apartment. Placing large mirrors strategically makes a room look larger than t is.
Interior decorating your home is not a chore. It’s fun and fulfilling! Follow these apartment decorating tips to create a home you have always wanted.