We all know when we hear “interior designer”, we are talking big bucks. However, this type of service has become more readily available to everyone. Interior designers are professional individuals that use stuff that you would have bought over a period of time to make our home look so amazing.
But choosing the wrong designer can cause you to get a look that you never wanted; so you have to be very careful when making your final decision. Before you think about getting a designer, you should have an idea of what look you want to achieve at the end.
Finding the right certified interior designer is not an easy task. Some people may choose the first one that they come across, but this calls for a lot of shopping around where you have to compare the different designers while doing some research on their background.
Interior designers save us time when it comes to redecorating the home which gives us the opportunity to deal with other things around the home. You can choose to have an individual or you can have a company to come to your home and do all the work.
One way in which you can find the right designer is to ask people that you know that used this type of service in the past. You may also know someone who had their house done, and you can ask questions about the cost and how was the experience doing business with that person(s).
When you talk to the designer, do not allow them to change you from your original plan unless you are okay with the changes. Some interior designers tend to bully customers and offer them something of their choice.
Remember the designer is working for you, so they have to respect your ideas and opinions. Having to make a few changes to your plan is quite normal. When you have narrowed down your list, you should conduct interviews to make your final decision.
Here is a list of questions that you can ask the designer.
1. Ask to see some of their work from previous jobs that they have done. Be mindful that the images reflect the choices of other persons and not the designer.
2. Find out some of the places that they would have worked, the size of the area, where the places located are and what is their price range.
3. Find out if they offer payment plans and/or how they would like to be paid.
4. Ask for a break down in price. Example: flat design fee, hourly rate, cost plus method, etc.
5. Find out what services do they offer.
6. Ask to see a list of their references that you can contact as this would give you a guide of the persons they worked for.
Make sure you take your time when choosing an interior designer. Choosing the right person will help you to ensure that you will get the design that you want. It will also ensure that the process is enjoyable for you and that it will be an experience that benefits you in the end.